New to Health insurance?
Believe us when we say we know that healthcare insurance can be confusing. It’s one of the things laya healthcare is working to change. So, let’s go through some of the things you might be wondering about.
Why do I need it?
First off, if you’re new to healthcare insurance, you might be wondering why you need it. Ireland has a free public health system, after all. That’s true. The problem is that it’s under enormous pressure. Public waiting lists are long. Public hospitals are overflowing. Private healthcare insurance helps you cover the costs of private consultants and hospital facilities. These aren’t funded by taxes. Instead, they charge patients for their services. The big advantage is that in most circumstances you’ll be seen faster and will have access to private or semi-private rooms. Private healthcare also helps you cover the costs of everyday medical expenses, such as visits to the doctor.
Choosing the right cover
There are lots of different healthcare schemes available. So, it’s worth taking the time to find a scheme that offers benefits that best match your needs. Also think about how often you’re likely to call on the benefits offered by a scheme. Cutting out benefits you wouldn’t really use will help reduce your premium. You may also have a preference for treatment in a private room. Or maybe you’re happy with a semi-private room? You can also choose between having private treatment carried out in public hospitals or at private hospitals. Or at both. The choice is yours. As you can see, there are lots of options. You can even select which private hospitals you’d like cover for. So, there are genuine benefits to having private healthcare cover. In addition, there is a good reason for taking out a scheme now if you are coming up to your 35th birthday. Wondering why? Read on.
Lifetime Community Rating
The Government is encouraging younger people to take out private healthcare cover. You'll find more information here
- After 1st May, 2015, if you are over the age of 34 when you first take out healthcare insurance, you will have to pay extra for your cover.
- It works out at an extra 2% of your premium for each year above 34. So if you’re 37 when you first take out insurance, you’ll pay 6% (3 years over 34 extra for your cover).
- If you’re 55, you’ll pay 42% (21 years x 2%) extra.
It mounts up, doesn’t it? There’s a real saving if you take out your first healthcare insurance before you turn 35. If you do, you don’t have to pay any additional premium as you grow older.
Looking for more information?
You might still have some questions such as what is a waiting period? If so, you’ll find lots more about health insurance on our help page.
- HeartBeat Screening (every member over 12 can avail of a cardiac screening once every two years)
- CareOnCall access for all members (GPline, Nurseline, Physio line and more)
- Manage your policy online with our Member Area
- Innovative Member app (allowing you to claim for day to day medical expenses as they arise)
- Call centre based in Ireland
- Getting cover online is simple and speedy
- Second largest health insurance provider in Ireland
- Over half a million members